The McPherson Opera House
McPherson Opera House Company
219 S. Main Street
P.O. Box 333
McPherson, KS 67460
Built in 1888, the McPherson Opera House, one of the first with electricity, had no equal between Kansas City and Denver. Because of its opulence and superb acoustics, it was a favorite venue of the assorted acts that crisscrossed the country by train.
The advent of movies-and, to a lesser degree, radio-changed the entertainment dynamics of America. In the spring of 1925, the Opera House quietly closed its doors, only to reopen, completely remodeled, as the Empire Movie Theater in 1929. The Empire, in turn, folded in 1936, to reappear as the Mac Theater just three weeks later.
Television effected an even more radical change in entertainment habits than the arrival of the movies, and one by one McPherson's movie theaters closed, with the Mac going dark in March 1965. The Opera House seemingly breathed its last when Continental Trailways vacated the building in 1983, and Peoples Bank bought it at a sheriff's auction with the intent of demolishing it.
In 1986, the McPherson Opera House Preservation Company was formed to save the building from demolition and to restore it to community use. In 2004, the Board of Directors changed the name to McPherson Opera House Company as the building had been preserved.
The west commercial portion of the Opera House was completed in February 2007, and the auditorium celebrated its Grand Re-Opening on 28 January 2010. The Opera House presents a full range of first-class entertainment as well as offering a number of different meeting rooms for rent. For more information, please visit www.mcphersonoperahouse.org. You can become a facebook fan of the McPherson Opera House at www.mcphersonoperahouse.net